Thursday 31 May 2012

LivWise by Olivia Newton-John, Review

When I think of Olivia Newton John firstly I think of Sandie in Grease – that’s not just me is it?! Second thought is that she had cancer, and it is that experience, or the fallout from it that has led to her cook book. LivWise easy recipes for a healthy, happy life by Olivia Newton-John published by Murdoch Books 2012, with thanks to the publisher for my review copy.

We are what we eat, and although this may or may not be apparent on the outside, you can’t hide from what happens on the inside. Eating good food is vital to keeping you in good health, and although it may not stop you getting the cold or flu (or worse), it will help you recover faster. So Olivia has set about eating the best food she can for optimum health.

It’s not just a personal mission either, she is in the process of opening a health retreat called Gaia in Australia to help others.

The pictures in the book are great, uplifting and calm with gorgeous looking food. The recipes are easy to follow, although you will almost certainly need a trip to a health food or green shop to source some of the ingredients, but I’m sure I’ve confessed before I like to do that anyway. The recipes Olivia has chosen for her book come from three sources, her friends, the chefs at Gaia and of course her own recipe book at home. There are a number of notes appended to some of the recipes giving information on the more unusual, health boosting ingredients.

Main chapters are: *Introduction, *Breakfast, *Shakes, Snacks and Breads, *Salads and Dressings, *Mains and *Sweets*.

If you are into juicing there are a few unusual combos to try. Some of the recipes I fancy trying are: Bush spiced fish with sweet potato mash and fruit salsa, Veggie Patties, Ocean trout with cauliflower puree and lime balsamic dressing and for the next recipe I’m going to make a breakfast one – Gaia toasted museli, a recipe that will give us a jar of something healthy and delicious for a number of breakfasts. This is essentially a kind of granola flavoured with coconut and dried berries then sweetened with agave nectar. How good does that sound?
This is a beautiful cook book full of good food. Which will nourish and nurture your mind, body and soul.
Quinoa Salad

This was the first recipe that I made. I’m a relative newcomer to quinoa, but I love how it makes me feel – full and energised. This salad is dotted with cucumber, red cabbage, spinach, spring onions and tamari laced sunflower seeds. The dressing is flavoured with lemon, tahini and white miso paste. The dressing was really punchy, but the quinoa takes it on well. We liked this the day I made it and I liked the leftovers the next day too, it was a bit more mellow then, but it was good both ways.

Next Up: Gok Cooks Chinese

3 comments:

Maggie said...

She is certainly still very beautiful. I have never tried quinoa - this time of the year is a great time to eat more healthy foods.

Hello said...

I've never tried quiona either, but will try anything that makes me feel full!

Kelly-Jane said...

Maggie she is, and it is easier to eat healthy food when it's summer.

Miss Flash, I'm with you there!