Sunday 20 March 2011

Chocolate Cream Pound Cake - Cake Slice Bakers March 2011


This months bake is an easy cake from Lauren Chattman’s Cake Keeper Cakes. Chocolate Cream Pound Cake from the Loaf Cakes chapter.

A simple plain loaf cake. Plain only because it is unadorned – the taste is great! I’ve tried a lot of different chocolate cakes and this is a good one. The cream in the title refers to some double (heavy) cream added to the batter, which gives the cake a tight, tender and moist crumb.


Adding cream to a cake like this was something that dairy farming families did to use up extra cream in days gone by.It was delicious served for pudding warmed with some butterscotch sauce, think sticky toffee pudding but with chocolate cake.


It didn’t really need to be gussied up though – it was perfect spread with a little butter. I’ll be making this one again for sure.


Do click here to see some other cake slice bakers cakes.


Next up: Baked New Frontiers in Baking

12 comments:

natalia said...

Ciao ! Your loaf is fantastic but I'm crying over the buttered slices as I'm dieting !

All That's Left Are The Crumbs said...

Your cake looks wonderfully moist. I had a little problem with sinking but it still tasted great. I love your idea about adding the sauce. I'm definitely going to have to make another loaf now.

Jodi said...

Ooh yum - adding the sauce looks great!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness....I bet it tasted amazing with the warm butterscotch sauce! I would love some with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top =) I too did something different with mine...thought it would be boring by itself!

Emily said...

Oh MY! Your cake looks DELISH!

Makes me wanna bake this again just to eat it the way you did!

Rachel said...

I love that you chose to do a loaf. And the sauce and butter.. drool!

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Mmmm - like the sauce!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I haven't come across your Blog before even though I am Aberdeenshire too. Great to meet you!

Elle said...

Your cake looks perfect! I had the sinking in the middle thing going, but I can see your is just lovely. I'll be making this one again, too because it's yummy.

Anna's kitchen table said...

Looks great KJ!

Katie said...

Your cake looks wonderful. I love the idea of serving it with the toffee sauce.

julie said...

Now I need that first book!
I made the PB crispy bars yesterday and they are devilish:)

online pharmacy said...

mmmmmm cakeeeee!!! well this is the third time that I gonna break my diet, maybe I could prepare it with some healthy ingredients and low fat.